Another one of my late upload lunches: vegan style black bean quesadillas.
1 red onion
1 clove garlic
1 bell pepper
1 chilly pepper
1 fresh chilly
1 cup black beans ( I soaked mine and then pressure cooked them, but low sodium canned is okay too if you’re short for time).
Spices = paprika, chilly flakes, cumin, cayenne, black pepper, & salt (although I always omit it).
Wholemeal tortilla wraps
1. Soak the black beans overnight if you are cooking them normally, or soak them for an hour if you own a pressure cooker and boil them for approx 20-25 minutes. When the beans are cooked drain them, and put them aside.
2. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan/wok and let heat. When the oil is hot add your finely chopped red onion alongside your garlic. Let these simmer until softened and brown.
3. Add the chilly pepper, the bell pepper and the chilly. Keep stirring, and let simmer until these have softened considerably.Add the diced tomato also.If you are worried about these burning it the process, just keep adding small amounts of water.
4. Add the spices, and let the veg soften further.
5. Add the black beans, and cook the mixture for another 10 minutes
6. Place the tortilla in a heated pan, and cover half with this mixture, followed by grated cheese and fresh coriander Fold the tortilla in half, and turn gently in order to allow it to brown.
7. When it is browned, pop it in a plate with some salad (mine was just cabbage & carrot ), and eat!